Is there laser treatment for psoriasis?

Can laser treatment help my psoriasis? It doesn't hurt too much, but it's really unsightly - especially when it appears on my face. I've heard so much about using laser therapy for other cosmetic issues, so I just wanted to see if this was an option.
Fortunately, the answer to your question is yes. There is a form of laser therapy called Excimer laser therapy which is now being used routinely in the treatment of psoriasis. Exposure to ultraviolet light has been a standard therapy for psoriasis for many years. Although it is fairly effective at reducing psoriasis plaques, one concern has been the overall risk of skin cancer with continued treatment. The Excimer laser is a special device which delivers ultraviolet light in a very specific, targeted way. This allows for the light to be focused on the psoriasis areas while sparing the rest of the skin, which allows for the benefits of ultraviolet light while decreasing the cancer risk and the other side effects (such as sunburn like reactions). The Excimer laser also has other beneficial effects. For example, it is used in other skin conditions to increase the coloring in lightly colored skin areas. This means that if your psoriasis areas have left the skin discolored or lightly colored, the Excimer laser treatment may be able to improve the smoothness of your overall skin color. One issue with Excimer laser treatment remains the high cost, but many more insurance companies are beginning to cover its use. You should see your dermatologist to discuss this and other options for treating your psoriasis.

Nearby Dermatologists