ZocdocAnswersAre these whiteheads on my vagina?

Question

Are these whiteheads on my vagina?

I have small white bumps on my vagina that I can't identify at all. How would I know if they were whiteheads vs something else? I'm a 44 year old woman in good health in most other respects, and though I've never had acne before, I hope they're note an STI.

Answer

There are several potential causes for these spots. Genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection caused by the human papilloma virus. They look like flat, irregular, fleshy, painless skin growths on a wide base. Folliculitis is a infection of the hair shafts which manifests as small bumps that are white and may contain small amounts of pus. These can be uncomfortable but they should respond to hygiene and perhaps a antibiotic cream. These spots should come and go. In grown hairs are also very common, and are caused when a hair grows down back into the follicle. These look like small bumps that can be painful and are more common in areas that are frequently shaved. Avoiding shaving so frequently or applying an exfoliating treatment may help. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is advised.