ZocdocAnswersWhat cures are there for sun allergies?

Question

What cures are there for sun allergies?

Is there a cure for sun allergy? I'm a single dad and my daughter is developing a severe sun allergy. I know other allergies can be cured by using a series of shots and I've heard about things like desentizing therapy. Is there a way to do that with the sun?

Answer

Sun allergy is not the most common form of skin allergy, but it can be very distressing. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue include your daughter's pediatrician and dermatologist. Sun allergy is caused by a sensitivity of the skin to the ultraviolet rays in sunshine, leading to redness itching and scaling. Unfortunately, there is no definitive cure. The most important treatments for sun allergy involve limiting exposure to direct sunlight, applying a good sunscreen every time your child goes outside, using clothing that covers sensitive areas, and keeping the skin well moisturized at all times. Anti-itch creams can also be very help to limit this distressing symptoms. If these simple measure do not work, there is a form of desensitizing therapy that your dermatologist can perform that involves exposure to to ultraviolet light. This does not cure the problem but it can limit swings in severity. As always the diagnosis and the management of your daughter's particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with her pediatrician or with her dermatologist to discuss treatment options is highly recommended.