Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What causes rashes to appear around the vagina?

Why might a woman get rashs around her vagina? The rashes I have usually come and go within a few days, and I definitely don't have any other symptoms of STI like odor or discharge. Still, the rashes are disconcerting because I don't know what's causing them.
The most common form of rash around the vagina is from skin irritation and chafing. The skin may appear reddened with small red bumps are be sensitive to the touch. Good skin hygiene and the use of clean absorbent cotton underwear is usually enough to clear it up. Yeast infections of the skin around the vagina can also be a cause. The skin tends to be quite red and often very itchy. A good over the counter anti fungal cream may be sufficient. If there are any isolate spots, like small blisters or sores, these may be signs of a sexually transmitted infection, such as herpes, but if it is just general irritation of the skin then this is less likely. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)