ZocdocAnswersWhat is Premarin?

Question

What is Premarin?

Aroud the time I hit 30 I think my hormones changed significantly, because I now deal with a lot of vaginal dryness and itching like I never used to. Research has turned up 'Premarin', but what are the cancer risks like? How does it compare to a birth control pill?

Answer

Premarin is a type of hormone replacement medication that is typically taken by women that have either undergone menopause and are looking to relieve symptoms, or are trying to reduce their risk for osteoporosis in select women. If you have normal menses and have not undergone a major GYN surgery such as a total hysterectomy, then this is probably not the right option for you. Premarin is an estrogen medication that comes in a pill or cream form. While it is true that Premarin creams are used for vaginal dryness and itching, this is generally reserved for women that no longer make natural estrogen or have an estrogen deficiency for another reason. In general, when a premenopausal women has a complaint of vaginal dryness, it is do to lack of genital stimulation prior to sex. This can be effectively treated by either a change in sexual activities, or using a standard over the counter lubricant. The best type of physician for you to see about this problem is an OBGYN. He or she can take a more detailed history of your GYN symptoms and do a pelvic exam to make sure there is nothing else wrong. After that, you can get a solid recommendation on what will work best for you. Good luck.