Can freckles turn into moles?

Is it possible for a freckle to actually turn into a mole? I had a big freckle on my cheek, near my temple, that seemed to just rise up and darken. Now it's giving off a little pus, and it just seems like a mole. Should I treat it in some way or just leave it alone?
Freckles and moles are similar to each other in that both involve collections of pigmented cells under the skin. Freckles tend to be lighter in color and more numerous, but there is a continuum, and freckles can change and darken with time. Because of the risk of skin cancer, any freckle or mole that is greater than 6 mm, has a raised or irregular appearance, has multiple colors or is growing rapidly should be checked out. The fact that the spot you have found on your cheek is giving of a pus like material suggests that something else may be going on. Sometimes large blackheads can be mistaken for freckles, for example. Other times small cysts under the skin can have openings that looking like freckles. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.

Nearby Dermatologists