ZocdocAnswersDoes removing fallopian tubes mean they're untied?

Question

Does removing fallopian tubes mean they're untied?

I originally had my tubes tied because I knew that I never wanted to have kids. Then, because of a severe infection, I had to get both of my fallopian tubes removed. Does this now mean they're ""untied""? In other words, is it now possible again that I'd get pregnant?

Answer

The Fallopian tubes allow for the passage of eggs produced by the ovaries to travel into the uterus. Within these tubes en route to the uterus or within the uterus itself, these eggs are met by sperm and are fertilized to produce an embryo, which can then implant into the wall of the uterus to begin a pregnancy. When a woman undergoes a tubal ligation (getting the tubes tied), the passage of the eggs to the uterus is blocked (therefore blocking fertilization). If you developed an infection that required your Fallopian tubes to be surgically removed, then there is still no way for eggs produced by your ovaries to get to the uterus. However, even without Fallopian tubes, you may be able to get pregnant with the help of in vitro fertilization (IVF). IVF involves harvesting eggs from your ovaries (typically via an ultrasound-guided needle placed through the wall of the vagina). These eggs are then combined with sperm outside of the body, and incubated together until an embryo is formed. An embryo is then inserted into the uterus with a catheter placed through the vagina and cervix. To discuss these options further, you should talk with your primary care physician and Ob/Gyn doctor.