We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

What causes pink or red spots on the body?

What could cause pink or red spots to appear on my body? I've got a lot on my chest, sides, back, and butt area. They range from dime-sized to quarter-sized. They're not raised, just discolored spots. And they don't hurt, but I've still got a bad feeling about them.
Various types of skin rashes and spots are some of the most common reasons that people seek medical attention. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you at greater length include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. If the spots you mention have no texture or sensation, it is possible that they are simply bruised areas. Bruises can occur without remembering trauma, and can pass through various stages of color. Another possibility is an allergic reaction or dermatitis of some kind. This would be more likely if there is some texture or scale to the spots or if they are itchy at all. Occasionally insect bites can cause red spots. For example, bed bugs are a common cause of mysterious red spots on various areas of the body. Finally there are some serious underlying medical conditions that show up this way. For example of the red spots are firm and occasionally tender, they may represent erythema nodosum, which is a skin finding common to several systemic inflammatory illnesses. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is highly advised.