ZocdocAnswersWhat to do about clogged pores on calves?

Question

What to do about clogged pores on calves?

What can I do about the clogged pores I get on my calves? I've tried steaming them and squeezing them out, but they just always seem to clog up again, and they sometimes build up into a huge, infected bulge that I have to lance. Is there something I can do to stop this?

Answer

Clogged pores on various parts of the body are one of the most common skin complaints. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Clogged pores occur all over the body when dead skin debris builds up, occasionally leading to the trapping of skin oils and bacteria. These can occasionally get infected. The treatment of these pores is basically the same all over the body. The first step is to always avoid squeezing them out. Squeezing just causes trauma to the tissue and increases the risk of infection. Instead, daily skin cleansing with a good soap or preparation containing microbeads for exfoliation should work, along with a good moisturizing lotion. If not, you can consider a 'comedonolytic' - skin debris remover - such as benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide is found in many common drug store products and is also available from your physician in stronger prescription strengths. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.