Why do fingernail curve down?

What makes my fingernails curve down at the edges? For a while I thought It was because I used to cut them badly - but even since I started cutting them straight across, they curl down and cut into my fingers. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just genetic, or what?
Finger nail characteristics are a complex interaction between genetics, our diet, our environment, and the particular type of every day care we do for them. The type of doctors that can help you with finger nail issues include primary care physicians (such as family doctors) and, in certain cases, dermatologists. Finger nails curl because that is the natural form the proteins and other material make when they are no longer confined by the nail bed. The thickness of the nail is influenced your genetic makeup, what types of foods you consume, and even the weather. There are a couple lung conditions that cause the finger nails to "club." The nail takes a large curve and the fingers look, in general, bigger and rounder. It is seen in patients with advanced lung cancer or high blood pressure in the lungs. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your nails and determine if there is a problem that needs treated. You can also get some good advice on what the best method to care for you nails. Your doctor can also refer you to a dermatologist if he or she thinks it is necessary. Good luck.

• Dr. Rachel Beda
    Dr. Rachel Beda MD
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112
  • Dr. Sam Warren
    Dr. Sam Warren MD, MS
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112
  • Dr. Warren Dinges
    Dr. Warren Dinges MD, PhD
    509 Olive Way
    Seattle, WA 98101