ZocdocAnswersWhen are biopsies necessary after an ultrasound?

Question

When are biopsies necessary after an ultrasound?

So I'm going in for an ultrasound due to some pelvic pain I've been having, and I'm really scared of having to get a biopsy if they find a problem. What are the ultrasound findings that would necessitate a biopsy, and in what cases will they just tell me I'm 'free to go'?

Answer

Ultrasounds are frequently ordered for patients with pelvic pain. It is a safe mode of imaging that does not result in any harmful radiation exposure. More often than not, the ultrasounds do not show anything that needs to have biopsies taken. There are a few things they could find which would result in needing a biopsy. For example certain, though not all ovarian cysts or tumors would need a biopsy. If a mass around your uterus were found by the ultrasound, that would necessitate a biopsy. Finally, if a mass were found within your uterus, and it was determined that you were not pregnant, then you may need a biopsy that is done through a pelvic exam. Biopsies are only done when necessary, and always precautions are taken to ensure that there is as little pain as possible during a procedure. I suggested that you schedule an appointment with the physician who is going to perform, or interpret the ultrasound. If you would like, you can have the ultrasound at a different time as a biopsy if necessary. This way, you don't have to be nervous about having to have a biopsy the same day as your imaging. Good luck.