Can whiteheads grow on sports injuries?

I have scar on my knee from an old sports injury that required extensive surgery. That happened in my teens, and I'm in my mid 20s now, but recently the scar tissue has started sprouting a lot of whiteheads. Are they really whiteheads or is that a sign of deeper infection?
Deep tissue infections can be serious and should always be evaluated by a qualified physician. If you are unsure whether you have a deeper infection, then you should probably schedule an immediate appointment with your primary care physician or present to the emergency room if the former can't happen. With that said, it does not sound like you have some of the classic deep tissue infection (severe pain, fever, perhaps numbness or tingling, redness). White heads form when a pore such as a hair follicle get clogged with material such as keratin and fill with the natural human oil sebum. The sebum (which is white in color) builds up forming a white head. Because scar tissue usually does not have hair follicles, acne is much less likely over a scar. It is still possible that some skin pores have grown back give you the potential to develop some pimples there. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further evaluation of these white heads. It may be that you just need some topical medication such an antibiotic cream to get these things to clear up. If they seem a bit more complicated, then perhaps you warrant a referral to a dermatologist. Good luck.

Nearby Dermatologists