ZocdocAnswersHow can one tell if they're ovulating regularly?

Question

How can one tell if they're ovulating regularly?

How can a woman tell if she is ovulating regularly? I have heard some women say that they can tell if they're ovulating by the change in odor and texture of their vaginal discharge, but I've never been able to detect anything like this. I want to know so I can time my fertility.

Answer

Knowing when you are going to ovulate is the key to getting pregnant, or preventing pregnancy, depending on what you are trying to do. There are a variety of ways one can tell if they are ovulating. One can tell by changes in their cervical mucus. The mucus becomes thin and watery and will stretch between 2 fingers a long distance. Another method is measuring ones basal body temperature which increases just after ovulation by about 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a little less useful because your fertility period occurs before the body temperature increase. Ovulation can also sometimes be felt as a sharp cramp that occurs mid-cycle that sometimes is associated with a small amount of bleeding (event known as Mittelschmerz). Finally, you should be able to find some home ovulation kits which detect he hormone LH in your urine. This hormone will become very high in your urine a day or so before you ovulate. If you have none of the aforementioned symptoms of ovulation, you should consider getting the kit. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for a pre-conception consultation. This way you can get the best information and advice that has your personal past medical history in mind. Good luck.