Are weight gain and bloating related to fibroids?

Is it typical for uterine fibroid to cause weight gain and bloating? If the weight gain is just due to my activity level or eating, fine, but I had some other symptoms I also thought were suspiciously similar to fibroids, so I thought I should ask about this before it got worse.
Fibroids are one of the most common conditions that affect women. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this with you include your primary care doctor and your OB / GYN doctor. Fibroids, or leiomyomas, are benign tumors of the muscular layer of the uterus. They are extremely common, occurring in up to 50% of middle aged women. The most common symptoms from fibroids include abdominal pain and cramping, heavy menstrual bleeding, and periods. However, fibroids do not specifically cause weight gain. There are numerous other causes of bloating and weight gain which could be considered. As you say, sometimes this is just due to a lack of exercise and a need to control one's weight. Other considerations might include constipation, which can often cause bloating. Irritable bowel syndrome commonly causes bloating and the stomach upset associated with it may cause weight swings. Occasionally medications, such as contraceptives, can be associated with weight gain. Rarely, a more general medical condition, such as thyroid disease is implicated and requires treatment. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.