ZocdocAnswersIs excessive cramping normal after a hysterectomy?

Question

Is excessive cramping normal after a hysterectomy?

I had a hysterectomy a few months ago because I had cervical cancer when I was young. The operation was successful, but since then I have had pretty severe cramping. Is that a normal side effect of hysterectomy? Is there any treatment for the cramping that is safe and effective?

Answer

The hysterectomy, or remove of the uterus, is one of the most common types of operations women undergo, and it is usually tolerated well. Occasionally, however, there can be complications that require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctor who will be best able to discuss this issue with you include your OB / GYN doctor. Pain, spot bleeding, and cramping might occur after a hysterectomy. However, these symptoms usually resolve slowly over a few weeks and certainly by 2 months should be largely gone. There are several possible complications that should therefore be ruled out. Sometimes, removal of the uterus can cause some prolapse of the vagina or bladder. This can lead to a tugging or cramping sensation. Occasionally, the scar tissue that forms after the surgery can cause adhesions - small bands of scar tissue - to form to the intestines. This can create periodic bloating and cramping. It would also be important to make sure that there has been no spread of the cervical cancer that was the reason in the first place for the hysterectomy. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.