Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

How are jock itch and yeast infections similar?

Is jock itch the same thing as a yeast infection? My boyfriend used to have jock itch and thought he was clean, but just a few days ago I started coming down with what looks just like a yeast infection. I was thinking maybe he passed it to me, but I don't know if that's even possible.
Jock itch is a common condition. Yeast infections are also fairly common. That being said, they are unlikely to be related. If you have continued problems, I would strongly suggest you see your doctor. Jock itch is a fungal infection of the skin. Also known as tinea cruris, is a fungal infection of the skin that commonly occurs is warm, moist areas. This is very common in men but can often occur in women. This can be treated with antifungal medications. This is similar to athlete's foot. A yeast infection in women is a common condition. By this I believe you mean a vaginal yeast infection. This is most often caused by a fungus known as candida. This rarely causes jock itch. It can occur in normal women, but is more common is women who have diabetes, are obese, or have recently used antibiotics. Keep in mind there are sexually transmitted disease that look like yeast infections, but these require a doctor for diagnosis. While there is a very small chance that candida caused the jock itch and was transmitted to your vagina to cause the infection, this would be very rare. It is more likely that you both have gotten very common conditions. Talk to your doctor. While unrelated, these both need to be addressed.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists