ZocdocAnswersWhat causes pink discharge after a hysterectomy?

Question

What causes pink discharge after a hysterectomy?

Last year, as a result of uterine cancer, I was forced to have a complete hysterectomy. Now I'm in complete remission, according to the doctors, but nobody I've talked to could explain the pink vaginal dischard I've been having since then. Is this a side effect of the surgery, somehow?

Answer

Having the uterus removed is a major operation, but it is usually well tolerated. It is good to hear that your cancer appears to be in remission as well. The doctors who would be best qualified to discuss this issue with you include the gynecologist who performed the surgery. Light pink discharge immediately after a hysterectomy is often expected, and is the result of small amounts of blood from the internal scars as they heal. This should not really last more than a few months however, so it is unlikely to be the cause. Another possibility would be a urine infection, especially if there is frequent urination or burning with urination. A simple urine test should be able to rule this out. Another possibility would be atrophic vaginitis. This would be especially common if you are postmenopausal or if you had your ovaries removed in the surgery. The surface of the vagina becomes delicate which can lead to small amounts of bleeding. Finally, it is possible that there is some complication from the surgery, such as persistent granulation tissue, that should be examined by your doctor. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your gynecologist is highly recommended.