How early can one tell if they're having twins?

What's the soonest a woman can tell if she is pregnant with twins? I know it is a silly thing to wish for, but all the same I think it would be really magical to have twins and I want to know as soon as it's possible to tell. I'm only 2 months pregnant and I haven't had an ultrasound yet.
The quick answer to your question you is can find out right now if you are having twins. An ultrasound can be performed between 8 and 10 weeks which can delineate a heart beat and the number of fetuses. If you haven't already, you should seek out an OBGYN to get your first ultrasound. While twins can seem like a wonderful blessing, but carrying twins does carry increased risks. Almost everything that can go wrong with a pregnancy goes wrong more often when a women delivers twins. Complications that are more common include premature birth, low birth weight, need for C-section, fetal injury, and post birth maternal bleeding. I don't want you to dread having twins, but if you do get pregnant with them you will definitely want to find a maternal fetal specialist for your care (a specialist in high risk pregnancies). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for an ultrasound in the next couple of weeks. By now, you should be able to see if you have one or two rugrats. After that, you can iron out the rest of your plans to have a healthy pregnancy. Good luck with your new baby(s).