How long does one feel pain after a hysterectomy?

I'm 29. I used to have chronic pelvis pain caused by my uterus, but then 2 months ago got a hysterectomy. It has lessened the pelvis pain dramatically, but there is still some. Is that pain just residual from the operation? How long should I expect it to take for the pain to go completely?
The hysterectomy is a common surgical procedure performed for many women and one which is generally well tolerated. Occasionally, however, there are complications of the surgery that require medical evaluation or treatment. It is best to discuss these issues with the gynecology surgeon who performed the procedure. After a hysterectomy, it is normal to have some discomfort, especially with activity, for a number of weeks. This should get better over time gradually, and by 2 months you should certainly be feeling a lot better, although there may still be twinges of discomfort. Rarely, if the pain persists, this could be a sign of a surgical complication. For example, sometimes after a hysterectomy the vagina or the bladder prolapse a bit and this can cause a dragging, uncomfortable sensation. If the pain increases and there is also fever, this may be the sign of a late surgical infection, or abscess inside the stomach. Sometimes bands of scar tissue form to the intestine, called adhesions, and these can cause bloating, cramping, and abdominal pain. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with you OB / GYN doctor is recommended if symptoms persist.

Nearby OB-GYNs