What are the symptoms of eczema?

I was diagnosed as having psoriasis back in college (I'm female, now 32) and I've generally had it under control since then with a low gluten diet. But recently I've been having this kind of blistering, scaly effect that my current doctor said looked like eczema. How do you identify eczema?
Skin conditions are often treated by family doctors or dermatologists depending on their severity. Eczema (also known as Atopic Dermatitis) is a skin condition where the skin becomes red, very itchy, and scaly and dry. It can occasionally blister up and superficial skin infections from the scratching are common. It typically occurs on the inner aspects of your forearms which distinguishes it from the typical pattern of psoriasis which is usually found on the outside of the elbows. With regards to your gluten free diet, if you had a dramatic improvement of your psoriasis with that diet, then I would be worried that you may not have psoriasis at all. A gluten free diet is beneficial to patients who have a gluten allergy such as that with celiac disease. There are skin problems known as dermatitis herpetiformis which would improve with a gluten free diet. I suggest you get the "anti-gliadin antibody test" at some point. If it is positive then continue the diet, if not, they diet may not be contributing. I suggest you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician when you think your rash is as its worst. You may warrant a referral to a dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment. Good luck.

Nearby Dermatologists