ZocdocAnswersAre penile rashes related to HIV?

Question

Are penile rashes related to HIV?

I just developed a rash on my penis that doesn't look like any std I'm seeing online. It just looks more like a real rash than sores or things like that. I did read that HIV can cause a rash, though. I've never been tested, so could this be a symptom of hiv? I'm super worried to be honest.

Answer

For any rash, bump, ulcer or any other change in your penis, the best doctor to see is a primary care physician such as a family doctor. HIV infection usually shows symptoms between 2 weeks and a month after the initial infection. The initial infection is known as the Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS). Symptoms usually include fever, muscle aches, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and generally feeling bad. People usually will state that they thought they had the flu. A rash can be one of these symptoms of the ARS, but it is rarely is a sign all by itself. In other words, without the fever, sore throat, or muscle aches, a rash by itself is not a strong sign. The more important factor is your risk factors. These should be reviewed with your doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment to see you primary care physician. He or she can examine the rash on your penis and determine what it is and if t needs to be treated. After taking a detail history of your risk factors, your doctor can determine if you warrant getting the HIV test done. If you need or want the test done, then you'll wait till 2-4 months after you the point where you think you got infected.