ZocdocAnswersHow can a woman check the position of her cervix?

Question

How can a woman check the position of her cervix?

How does a woman check the position of her cervix? I was talking to a dotor (not an obgyn) about how I have pain during sex and she said that it could be due to having a cervix positioned in an unusual way, and that some positions would be better than others in that case. So how do I check?

Answer

There can be many causes for pain with sex, called dyspareunia, and some of them do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Sometimes pain with sex is caused by the position of the cervix colliding with the tip of the penis. The solution to the problem is not so much to check the position of the cervix as it is to experiment with other sexual positions until one is found that is more comfortable. Other more serious cause of dyspareunia include pelvic inflammatory disease or other sexually transmitted infections which should be treated. Endometriosis or ovarian cysts can also cause dyspareunia, as can fibroids in the uterus. Peri-menopausal women often experience dyspareunia because lower hormone levels result in drying out of the vaginal lining, leading to discomfort. This can occur also in menstruating women who just have naturally lower levels of vaginal mucus and secretions. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.