ZocdocAnswers"During pregnancy, do women feel pelvic pressure?"

Question

"During pregnancy, do women feel pelvic pressure?"

Is it normal, during the course of pregnancy, for a woman to feel pelvic pressure? I'm midway through my second trimester, and the pressure isn't painful, but it's a strange sensation. I have to work pretty hard to get into positions that relieve the pressure. Is this a problem of some kind?

Answer

Pregnancy produces many changes in the body that can be interpreted by the woman in strange ways. The doctors who are best qualified to discuss this issue with you include your OB / GYN doctor. As the pregnancy develops, the uterus becomes enlarged as well as the fetus within it. This enlarging uterus displaces the other abdominal organs, such as the stomach and intestines. This can lead to a sensation of fullness when eating, heartburn, and bloating. These symptoms are all normal as long as not severe. Similarly, if the uterus bears down on the bladder or the pelvic bones, it creates a sensation of pressure, and may lead to the need to urinate more frequently. This sensation can be worsened by the pregnancy hormones loosening the ligaments between the pelvic bones, creating a strange mobile sensation of the pelvis. If you develop pain, severe heartburn, difficulty urinating, or another symptom more concerning for too much pressure, this may need to be evaluated and potentially treated by your doctor. As always the diagnosis and the treatment of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.