ZocdocAnswersCan vaginal discharge smell like the food one ate?

Question

Can vaginal discharge smell like the food one ate?

Does it make sense that my vaginal discharge smells like the food I've been eating recently? I want to know because if it doesn't work that way, then I'm having strange and pretty inexplicable vaginal odors that I should deal with. I've noticed it especially since eating a lot fruit recently.

Answer

Changes in vaginal odors can be caused by a variety of things. All of them should be evaluated by a qualified doctor. Family practitioners and OBGYNs are both doctors you could see to get this problem looked at. Certain foods you eat can occasionally change the smell of you urine which in tern can result in a change in your vaginal odors. If you do not notice a strong odor coming from your urine, then likely this issue is not associated with your diet. Vaginal odors that are described as fowl smelling are usually an infection. Two examples are bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis. Bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina namely Gardnerella Vaginalis. This causes discharge that is often described as fishy. Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection with a parasite. It too causes a fowl smelling odor. They both can be treated with the drug Metronidazole. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN as soon as possible. You will likely need a pelvic exam to obtain a sample of vaginal discharge for evaluation. This way your doctor can tell if there is an infection that needs treated. Good luck.