ZocdocAnswersCan whiteheads look like an STD?

Question

Can whiteheads look like an STD?

Do whiteheads ever look like an STD? I know that I have a tendency to get whiteheads EVERYWHERE, including my groin and anal region. But now I've got these areas that are more broken open looking, kind of wet and inflamed. Is it maybe not an STD, just whiteheads? How can I tell the difference?

Answer

All changes in your skin require evaluation by a qualified physician such as a family doctor or, for the more complicated cases, a dermatologist. In you case, I advise you to see a physician sooner than later in case you do have an infection that needs treatment. Acne can certainly appear in the groin and anal region especially if you shave or wax hair in that region. If you have a history of acne in that region then it raises the possibility that that is all it is. However, areas of your skin that are broken open looking or wet and inflamed require further evaluation. Certain STDs such as the Herpes Simplex Virus that cause genital herpes can also appear like this. Other symptoms of herpes include fever, and painful, burning ulcers that come and go during times of stress. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a thorough look at your genital and anal regions and determine what they are. If they are acne, then they likely warrant more aggressive treatment. If they are an infection, sexually transmitted or other, then it may need treatment. Either way, you'll be better off after your visit with the doctor. Good luck.