ZocdocAnswersDo babies make a clicking sound when moving?

Question

Do babies make a clicking sound when moving?

Is it normal for babies to make a 'clicking' sound when they move? I have a 6 month old baby girl that I'm trying to be very careful with, and I swear I can hear this faint click sound when she moves her legs especially (but sometimes it seems like it's coming from her back). Am I hallucinating?

Answer

Small babies are often confusing at at times and even normal sounds and actions can cause anxiety for parents. Fortunately, as long as they are growing and behaving normally, there is rarely a serious problem! Your pediatrician would be willing to discuss this issue in greater detail if needed. There are several possible explanations for unexplained noises coming from your babies stomach/legs/back. The first would simply be loud stomach noises. The intestines of young babies are often quite active and they can produce high-pitching tinkling or clicking noises which can sometimes be audible. Another possibility would be that your baby is simply passing gas! Small amounts of gas may escape at various intervals and sounds like a clicking noise. Another possibility, and one which is more serious and would require evaluation, is that your baby's hips are making the clicking noise. Some babies have a condition called congenital hip dysplasia, which can result in a clicking or dislocation of the hip with movement. This can be diagnosed by your doctor. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your child's specific issue will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your pediatrician is highly recommended.