ZocdocAnswersDoes removing fallopian tubes speed up menopause?

Question

Does removing fallopian tubes speed up menopause?

I had to get my fallopian tubes removed due to endometriosis last year, and I'm 42. This year I started having some mild hot flashes - nothing severe, but still alarming. If this is the beginning of menopause, is it possible the operation I had sped it up some how? I feel like they're connected.

Answer

For issues associated with menopause and other feminine health questions, you can always approach an OBGYN or family practitioner. In this case, having your fallopian tubes removed with or without your uterus should not speed up menopause, unless your ovaries were removed with them. After removal of the uterus and fallopian tubes, a women's periods stop. However, the hormones that cause a woman's normal cycle continue to flux as they would when the uterus was present. In other words, your ovaries and pituitary gland (the organs responsible for secreting the hormones) don't know that the uterus or fallopian tubes are not present. Hot flashes can occur for other reasons other than the beginnings of menopause. With that said, age 42, while young for menopause, is not completely out of the range for some women. Despite your hysterectomy, it is still possible that you are having symptoms of menopause. Therefore, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whomever you are most comfortable with. He or she can perform simple blood tests to look for hormone levels that are consistent with menopause. That, along with the description of your symptoms should help you doctor get to the bottom of you problems. Good luck.