We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Can one get fibroid tumors after a hysterectomy?

I got a hysterectomy because of endless, almost uncontrollable vaginal bleeding I was having, and it has been good - but now I've got some pelvic pain and bloating that looks just like the symptoms of a fibroid tumor. Could I have those after a hysterectomy? If not, what might cause these symptoms?
It sounds like you have been through a lot with regards to your pelvic symptoms. Although you no longer have uterus, I think the best initial physician to see is an OBGYN, though a general practitioner would also be able to examine this problem for you. After a hysterectomy, the cells that can form uterine fibroids are gone. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that you could develop fibroids again. However, that doesn't mean that you don't have something else in the area that can cause those symptoms. Pelvic pain and bloating are symptoms of many other processes in the area that will need to be looked into. They can be a symptom of constipation or indigestion. You could be having pelvic pain from post operative scaring. It is possible that you have another growth in that area that needs looked into. Either way, its something that needs followed up on. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN, preferably the one that performed your hysterectomy. He or she will be able to take a more detailed history and a thorough physical exam to see where your discomfort is coming from. Your doctor may want to do some imaging of you pelvis such as an ultrasound or CT scan. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs