How much weight gain is normal during pregnancy?

How much weight is it normal to gain during pregnancy? I've really been craving brie cheese and other things that I know are really fattening - but obviously I'm eating for two. Is there a good way to chart how much you should gain in each trimester and how long it should take to lose it afterwards?
The answer to this question depends a lot on your initial weight, and your general nutritional status before pregnancy. The best type of physician to ask these types of questions is an OBGYN. On average women that are of normal weight before pregnancy should gain between 25 and 35 lbs by the time they deliver. This recommended amount is less for women that are overweight (15-25 lbs) and more for women that start of underweight (28-40 lbs). Only your doctor can determine for sure which of these categories you fit into. The majority of your weight gain should only come in the last 2 months of pregnancy. It can take anywhere between a month and a year to lose all your pregnancy weight. Lack of exercise can contributed to prolonged weight loss after giving birth. I suggest that you write down questions such as this one to take with you to your next OBGYN visit. He or she will be able to answer this important question that is individualized to your particular situation including your starting weight, nutritional status, and past medical history. This way you can do as much as you can to help yourself have a healthy pregnancy. Good luck.