ZocdocAnswersWhat is a mucus plug?

Question

What is a mucus plug?

I am in my 9th month of pregnancy, and I'm 26 years old. A few days ago, I had a lot of discharge that was thick and greenish, so I looked around online and found a lot of writing about the 'mucus plug'. Is it okay that mine has come out already, even though I'm not giving birth yet? What are they for?

Answer

All changes in your body, big or small should be brought to your OBGYN's attention. He or she needs to be in the loop so to speak for all your symptoms during your pregnancy. The cervical mucus plug sits in the cervical opening during pregnancy. It acts as a barrier keeping bacteria out of the uterus while the new baby is growing. As you approach labor, the cervix begins to dilate and get soft while preparing for birth. This causes the mucus plug to fall out allowing for discharge that is typically brown. Greenish vaginal discharge may or may not be normal depending on your other symptoms. Only your doctor can tell after examining the mucus. I suggest that since you are so close to your delivery date that you make sure you see your OBGYN every week (you may already have a long line of appointments). You can bring this issue up with him or her. I imagine that your doctor will do a routine physical exam to look and see if this discharge you are having is normal. This way you know for sure whether you need something treated before you go into labor. Good luck.