ZocdocAnswersCan skin tags grow on top of moles?

Question

Can skin tags grow on top of moles?

I've got a big mole above my lip that now looks like it's got something sprouting out of the top of it. It actually looks pretty much like the skin tags I've got on my sides. Is it possible for a skin tag to grow out of a mole? I know they say you should watch moles for cancer, so that's why I'm concerned.

Answer

Many people have moles, and sometimes changes in their appearance to provoke concern and can require evaluation or medical treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Skin tags, or acrochorda, are benign fleshy outgrowths of the skin that usually occur in skin creases, although the can occasionally occur on the face. Moles, or nevi, are collections of pigment containing cells beneath the skin. As you say, the worry is that some times moles can transform into melanoma, a form of skin cancer. It would be unusual for a skin tag to grow on top of a mole, and therefore this change should be taken seriously. Any mole that is greater than 6 mm in diameter, that has irregular borders or color changes, or that has a change in its elevation should be evaluated. Based on these criteria, the process you describe could be interpreted as a change in elevation and should be evaluated. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is highly recommended.