ZocdocAnswersWhat is menorrhagia?

Question

What is menorrhagia?

I self diagnosed with menorrhagia because I always seem to bleed way more heavily on my periods than the average woman does. But when I tried to learn more about menorrhagia, it seemed like the sort of problem you can't learn anything from, because it could be caused by so many other medical problems. What should I do now?

Answer

Many women have concerns about menstrual flow and what constitutes normal. The doctors who are well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Menorrhagia is simply defined as heavy menstrual bleeding. It can be caused by many things, but it is also important to remember that there is a lot of variation between women in how much they bleed. So, if there are no other symptoms of too much bleeding, such as fatigue or anemia, this may be normal for you. Causes of menorrhagia include bleeding disorders where the blood does not clot normally. There is often a family history of heavy periods or other bleeding problems. Another cause is problems with irregular ovulation, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and thyroid disease. The workup of these possibilities requires a series of blood tests as determined by your doctor. In women with normal ovulation, the most common cause of menorrhagia is some anatomic cause. For example, commonly fibroids, or small benign muscle tumors, in the uterus cause menorrhagia. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling a visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.