ZocdocAnswersCan fevers cause bloating?

Question

Can fevers cause bloating?

My husband has been down with a fever for two days. He's blowing it off as nothing but I have been extremely worried since I noticed this morning that his stomach seems bloated. Could this just be indigestion, or can a fever cause bloating? If so, is it a serious illness?

Answer

Fever does not in and of itself cause abdominal bloating. Rather, fever is one of the body's primary symptoms that something, usually an infection, is going on. Therefore it is very likely that whatever is causing your husband's abdominal bloating is also causing the fever. There are many infections that can cause these symptoms, including bacteria and viruses. Usually most of these infections are self limited and not too severe. Usually, a few days of rest and taking in lots of fluids is enough to fight them off. However, if your husband has any other medical problems, or if the fever is not improving, if there is severe abdominal pain, or if there is blood in the bowel movements these are all some signs that things are more serious and that he should seek medical care . Occasionally, a surgical problem can cause fever and abdominal pain. These would include appendicitis, an inflammation of the appendix, which requires surgery to remove the inflamed organ. If your husband has severe abdominal pain, especially in the right lower part of the abdomen, or if you notice that the abdominal wall muscles seem stiff and tight, these are signs that you need to go to the emergency room.