Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Is fluid on the pelvis bad?

I have been having some problems my doctor said looked and felt like fluid on the pelvis, but he'll have to do more test to be sure. My question is this: how bad is it if I do have fluid on the pelvis? Is it possible to just drain the fluid? Does it affect your ability to have children?
Fluid in the pelvis, or ascites, is a common condition. This can be both normal, as well as abnormal. I would recommend that your discuss this with your doctor -- either your primary care doctor or OB GYN should be able to assist you in this matter. Firstly, pelvic fluid can be normal. In menstruating women, it is known that there is a small amount of fluid that exists in the pelvis. We know that the amount of fluid varies during the hormonal cycle. All together, this is a small amount of fluid and should not cause any symptoms. This is a possible cause. There are other causes of fluid that are more worrisome. Some of these include heart failure (from a weakened heart muscle), liver failure, and kidney failure. These work by different mechanisms, but can all result in fluid in the pelvis. Talk to your doctor as simple history, physical and lab tests can rule these out. Another worrisome cause of pelvic fluid is ovary problems. Benign problems, like endometriosis, as well as malignant problems, like ovarian cancer, can cause pelvic fluid. It is possible to drain pelvic fluid, but the quantity must be sufficient. Depending on why the fluid is there, this may or may not affect your fertility. Talk to your doctor as this is an important issue that needs to be addressed.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!