What is the source of groin fungus?

Where does groin fungus come from? I know that you can fight it with an antifungal cream - but twice now I have had it and I don't know where it's coming from. Can I make it less likely to happen if I shower more frequently? Or are there home remedies I can use to keep it away?
The fungi that cause skin infections are found everywhere in the environment, most commonly in the soil but also in locker rooms, and contaminated clothing. Therefore the best way to prevent and treat them is, as you say, very good frequent skin hygiene. It is also important to change any clothing, such as underwear, that comes in contact with the infected area well and to wash all the clothing in hot water before reusing it. Avoiding sharing towels and clothing with others is also important, especially in the gym, both to avoid passing an infection to another person and also to avoid contracting a new infection. As you have done in the past, using over the counter anti fungal creams is also an important part of keeping the infection under control when it flares up. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.