ZocdocAnswersDoes celiac cause hip pain?

Question

Does celiac cause hip pain?

I have celiac disease (diagnosed 5 years ago) that I take very good care to avoid having problems with. I control my food supply completely, so I almost never have flareups. But I am now having pretty bad pain while walking or standing in my left hip. Can celiac disease cause hip pain?

Answer

Celiac disease is a chronic disease of the digestive system that interferes with the gastrointestinal tract's ability to absorb the nutrients that the body needs to grow and remain healthy. Classical symptoms of the disease include diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal bloating, fatigue and weight loss. Reduced absorption of iron may lead to a diagnosis of anemia as the presenting sign of celiac disease. As essential vitamins are normally absorbed across the small intestine, vitamin deficiencies may also develop if the celiac disease goes untreated for a significant period of time. This may lead to low levels of calcium and vitamin D for example, two substances that are extremely important for bone health. Deficiencies of calcium and vitamin D can lead to thinning of the bone known as osteopenia, which can lead to osteoporosis over time. However, as there are a number of causes of hip pain, you should see your primary care physician to discuss your symptoms and attempt to diagnose the underlying problem. He/she may gain more information by conducting a thorough physical exam, checking x-rays of your hip, and checking your blood to test for vitamin deficiencies.