ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause lesions on a penis?

Question

What would cause lesions on a penis?

How many different things can cause lesions on the penis, and what causes are the most likely? I have two small lesions on the top of the head of my penis and I am really scared that they are herpes - but can't other diseases (beyond STDs) cause penis lesions, or is that uncommon?

Answer

Many people seek medical advise because of concerns over potential sexually transmitted infections. The doctors who will be able to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. There are several potential causes for the spots on the head of your penis. The first is genital herpes. The lesions of herpes begin as fluid filled round blisters on a red base. They are usually painful. After they rupture they may appear as little ulcers. Syphilis sores usually look like ulcerated areas; they can have irregular edges and tend not to be painful. Genital warts form soft, flat, fleshy raised growths that usually are attached on a wide base to the underlying skin. Rarely skin tags, which are fleshy elongated skin growths attached at a narrower base to the underlying skin can arise from the foreskin. Occasionally, areas of irritation or dermatitis can appear on the penis, usually due to poor hygiene under the foreskin or a reaction to some soap or personal beauty product. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.