Book now. It's free!

Can IBS cause chest pain?

I was diagnosed a few years ago as having IBS, and I've been trying to treat it naturally ever since. I generally eat mild foods and a lot of cooling smoothies to try to go gentle on my system. Lately, though, I have been having an achy chest pain. Could this be connected to my IBS?
IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome, is a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract that includes symptoms such as chronic abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, and alteration of bowel habits. Some patients may complain predominantly of diarrhea, while others may be more affected by constipation. Often, there is relief of abdominal pain and bloating with bowel movements. While many patients diagnosed with IBS may have other medical problems such as depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia which may contribute to atypical muscle aches and musculoskeletal complaints, chest pain is not considered within the spectrum of symptoms caused by irritable bowel syndrome. There are a number of other causes of achy chest pain, some of which are concerning enough (such as heart disease) that you should see your primary care physician to discuss your symptoms. Your doctor will be able to conduct a thorough history and physical exam and may choose to have you undergo further testing to help come up with a diagnosis. This testing may involve blood work or procedures such as an exercise treadmill test. In any case, chest pain should not be attributed to IBS unless all other possibilities are excluded first.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!