ZocdocAnswersCan genital warts sprout hair?

Question

Can genital warts sprout hair?

I have two bumps on my scrotum that I was worried were genital warts. I shaved the area initially to get a better look at them. Now the hair is growing back, and it's covering the bumps completely. Does this mean it's not genital warts? I didn't think warts could have hair growing out of them.

Answer

Genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection caused by the human papilloma virus. They are usually found on the shaft of the penis, not the scrotum and, as you say, do not have hair growing out of them. Other possible growths that can be confused with genital warts include ingrown hairs and whiteheads. Additionally, small colored spots that are painless but that are sensitive and can sometimes bleed could be angiokeratomas of the scrotum. These are totally benign skin finds that can be single or quite numerous. They do not require any treatment unless the bleed or are otherwise uncomfortable. Finally skin tags, or acrochorda, are fleshy outgrowths of the skin that are stretchable and connected at a narrow base. These are also totally benign and do not require treatment unless they become uncomfortable. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.