ZocdocAnswersCan basketball cause pelvic pain?

Question

Can basketball cause pelvic pain?

Can playing basketball cause pelvic pain? My teenage daughter has been playing ball with her school, and has recently been complaining that her pelvis hurts. Could this just be an affect of aging, or could it have something specifically to do with the running / jumping of basketball?

Answer

Anytime an active young person begins to complain about a joint or bone hurting, it should be evaluated by a qualified physician as soon as possible. In this case, a pediatrician or a family doctor would be good initial physicians to see. The first thing I think about in a young female patient that is doing a lot of running and jumping that complains of new pelvic pain is a hairline fracture of the pelvis or a pelvic stress fracture. Basically a pelvic stress fracture is a small break in the bone that occurs after prolonged use or impact on the bone. They are usually minor injuries that require only a short time of rest for recovery. However, pelvic pain in a young woman could be many other things that would need to be looked into. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your daughter's pediatrician or family doctor, whoever she sees for her health care. I think that she will need some imaging of her pelvis to rule out a fracture. Her doctor can also take a more detailed history and thorough physical exam to ensure that other causes of pelvic pain are looked into. I hope she feels better. Good luck.