Can constipation cause anal itching?

I am somewhat constipated, and I have been for several days. Is this why my anus has started itching? I've never heard of this before (and I'm 42) but it seems like either A) constipation is causing my anus to itch or B) some other problem is causing both. Are either of these possible?
Concerns about anal itching are embarrassing but very common reasons for people to seek medical advise. Fortunately they are rarely serious. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. Constipation can lead to a distention of the rectum and anus by hard feces. These can lead to an uncomfortable sensation of fullness, which can be interpreted as itching. However, more likely, is that the itching sensation is from a hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are dilated veins of the rectum and anus which can cause severe itching as well as bleeding and discomfort at times. There are very common in middle aged people and are caused by normal aging as well as chronic constipation leading to straining. The itching of hemorrhoids is made worse by constipation, as the hard stool scratches over and irritates the hemorrhoid. In addition to taking stool softeners or laxatives to relieve the constipation, an over the counter anal hemorrhoid cream or suppository will likely relieve the symptoms. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If symptoms persist setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Alexander Kulick
    Dr. Alexander Kulick MD
    112 E 61st St
    New York, NY 10065