ZocdocAnswersWhat do burning genitals indicate?

Question

What do burning genitals indicate?

What does it mean if your genitals are burning? I'm a 23 year old guy and I know it's not an STD because I've never been sexually active. Are there diseases that cause this sensation? I am very clean and wash myself multiple times a day, so I don't think the problem has anything to do with cleanliness.

Answer

This sounds like a very distressing symptom. The type of physician you could see for this problem would be a primary care physician such as a family doctor or, if its a particularly complicated problem then you may need to see a urologist. What is causing your burning genitals depends largely on what part of you is burning and what brings it on. If you burn with urination then it could have a urinary tract infection. If you are burning on the outside of your genitals then it is possible you have some skin irritation from a rash or infection. Tinea cruris (also known as jock itch) can cause itching and burning in that area which can be transmitted in a non-sexual way. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history, perform a thorough physical exam and may be able to determine if you have something that would require treatment. You may require a couple lab tests while you are there including a urinalysis. Your doctor may decide to refer you to a urologist for further evaluation and treatment. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.