search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What do burning genitals indicate?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat do burning genitals indicate?

Question

What does it mean if your genitals are burning? I'm a 23 year old guy and I know it's not an STD because I've never been sexually active. Are there diseases that cause this sensation? I am very clean and wash myself multiple times a day, so I don't think the problem has anything to do with cleanliness.

Answer

This sounds like a very distressing symptom. The type of physician you could see for this problem would be a primary care physician such as a family doctor or, if its a particularly complicated problem then you may need to see a urologist. What is causing your burning genitals depends largely on what part of you is burning and what brings it on. If you burn with urination then it could have a urinary tract infection. If you are burning on the outside of your genitals then it is possible you have some skin irritation from a rash or infection. Tinea cruris (also known as jock itch) can cause itching and burning in that area which can be transmitted in a non-sexual way. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history, perform a thorough physical exam and may be able to determine if you have something that would require treatment. You may require a couple lab tests while you are there including a urinalysis. Your doctor may decide to refer you to a urologist for further evaluation and treatment. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances