Are vasectomies painful?

Is it painful to get a vasectomy? I'm sure I never want to have children, so this definitely seems like the best option for me, but the idea of someone putting a needle into my scrotum and cutting inside seems brutal. How difficult a procedure is this, on a scale of one to ten?
Considering all possible procedures that we do to people the vasectomy probably ranks a 2-3/10. It is probably similar in difficult as a biopsy and may be much less than that. The procedure is usually done without general anesthesia because it is not necessary to put people completely under. There is a small area next to the scrotum that is numbed up so that you will not feel any pain in that area. They open a tiny incision, cut the vas deferens, close it, and sew the incision shut. It really is that simple. Of course, that area will be a little sore for a few days, and may require some ice and pain killers. One important thing to keep in mind is that after the procedure is over you should always use protection during sex until your semen has been shown to not have any sperm in it. There have been reports of couples still getting pregnant after a vasectomy because they didn't wait long enough. I would schedule an appointment with a urologist that performs the procedures. It can be done as an outpatient in a short amount of time. He or she can go through the details of the procedure with you so you can make an informed decision. Good luck.

Other Urologists