Can diet affect vertigo?

I am prone to sudden spells of vertigo and I have been since I was a kid. Recently I went on a gluten-free and corn-free diet and it seems like the vertigo improved. Is it possible for vertigo to be influenced by diet, or am I just imagining the connection where there isn't one?
Vertigo is has many possible causes, all of which need evaluated by a physician. You can be evaluated by your primary care physician, and ENT doctor, or a neurologist. One instance when diet can affect symptoms of vertigo is with patients that have Meniere's disease. This disease is causes vertigo and hearing changes. It can be helped by a low salt diet which improves the amount of inner ear fluid which is responsible for the symptoms. A gluten free diet is designed for patients with a gluten allergy. Patients who are sensitive to gluten generally have celiac disease which is characterized by long standing diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain especially after eating wheat based foods. In severe cases, patients can become deficient in certain nutrients. Patients sometimes develop a rash which can be very annoying. Patients must be diagnoses with a biopsy of the small intestine. If you do not have any history of diarrhea, bloating or abdominal pain after meals, then you likely do not have celiac disease and the gluten free diet is not helping you. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine you and determine what the cause of your vertigo is. It is possible that you have the common benign positional vertigo. In this case, you physician can teach you how to do vestibular exercise and can prescribe some anti-nausea medicine if needed. Good luck.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor