ZocdocAnswersAre thrush and cystitis related?

Question

Are thrush and cystitis related?

Is there a relationship between thrush and cystitis? I got treated for a thrush infection a while back, and I got over it pretty quickly. Soon after that, however, came a really bad bout of cystitis that I'm still fighting. It just seemed like more than a coincidence.

Answer

Thrush and cystitis are common conditions that require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. Thrush is the common name for a yeast infection in the mouth. Although this is sometimes caused by an immune disorder, it can also occur in healthy people and is usually treated with a simple topical medicine. Similar yeast infections can occur vaginally, and this is also called thrush by some and is treated in the same way. Cystitis, or a urinary tract infection, is caused when bacteria (or occasionally yeast) get into the urine and growth there, causing frequent urination and pain with urination. This is usually treated with an antibiotic. There may be a relationship between the vaginal thrush and a urinary tract infection in two ways. First, it is possible that the yeast caused the urine infection. The second possibility is that medications or other treatments (such as douching) that you used for the thrush disrupted the normal bacterial balance in the vagina, predisposing to a urine infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If you continue having symptoms setting up a followup appointment with your primary care doctor is recommended.