Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Can tight pants cause abdominal pain?

Is it possible for really tight pants to cause abdominal pain? I have been wearing tight pants for years and never considered that they could hurt me, but these days it seems like the only thing that relieves my intermittent stomach cramps is to wear loose fitting clothes. Is this just my imagination?
There are many causes for abdominal pain, most are not serious but some of them do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in detail include your primary care doctor. The short answer to your question is, absolutely, yes! Tight pains can constrict the abdomen and place pressure on the intestines. Compressing the intestines can interfere with their normal mobility leading to multiple symptoms, including gas distention, constipation, pain, and heartburn and indigestion. If you wear properly fitting clothes and the symptoms go away, then you have solved your problem! Another possibility is irritable bowel syndrome. This is characterized by intermittent abdominal pain, cramping, bloating and constipation or diarrhea that is made worse by times of stress. People with irritable bowel syndrome are very sensitive to external stimuli, and many of them report that having clothing rub against the skin on their abdomens creates a constricting sensation that worsens their abdominal pain and cramping. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)