ZocdocAnswersCan STDs cause cystitis?

Question

Can STDs cause cystitis?

I got a case of gonorrhea from a former sex partner that I have been seeing a doctor for. I've done a pretty good job getting rid of it, and I was symptom free for a while. But now I'm having problems that look more like cystitis. Could the gonorrhea have caused cystitis or is it more likely that I'm just having a relapse?

Answer

Sexually transmitted infections are one of the most common reasons that people seek medical advice. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor. Two of the most common sexually transmitted infections, gonorrhea and chlamydia, can both cause symptoms that overlap with the symptoms of cystitis. Both are bacterial infections that cause inflammation of the urethra. This can lead to pain and urgency with urination. These symptoms are more common in men, whereas women can often have asymptomatic infections. Cystitis, or a urinary tract infection, also produces pain with urination, urgency, and frequent urination. As you can see, therefore, both infections can have similar symptoms. However, urinary tract infections are very common in women and in this setting are almost always not related to a sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. Nevertheless, any pain with urination is suggestive of a problem that may require antibiotics or other medical treatment and should be checked out. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.