What is National Invisible Illness week?

What is National Invisible Illness week? What does it include? I have diabetes and I'm not sure if I should discuss it with my office during this time, because it seems like a strange definition. Isn't almost every illness invisible unless you're performing a vivisection?
National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week is held every year in September around the world. It's goal is to provide those who suffer with validation that their pain is real and provide a setting of inclusion as opposed to exclusion. It is also seeks to promote awareness of chronic conditions and chronic pain. You are correct that most illnesses are invisible in the sense that the condition isn't readily apparent to the outside public. Some diseases can go through stages where at times a person may look completely healthy (such as someone with controlled diabetes) to the opposite end of the spectrum where it is obvious that the person is sick and needs special care (such as late stage diabetes which can include blindness, renal failure, and limb amputation). National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week is a good time to talk to your office about your diabetes and how it affects you and others with your disease. It is a great way to educate your peers about how even though you may look fine on the outside, you have a chronic disease which requires a special diet and medications and can include various complications. Diabetes is a common invisible illness. Make sure your diabetes is under the best care by following up with your primary care provider or endocrinologist.

Nearby Endocrinologists

Other Endocrinologists