ZocdocAnswersCan pelvic lumps cause one to throw up?

Question

Can pelvic lumps cause one to throw up?

Can pelvic lumps cause a woman to throw up on multiple occasions? I am a 26 year old woman and a nurse told me that the lumps I felt were pelvic lumps and would probably not need to be removed. But since a few months ago I have thrown up a lot for no reason. Is it the lumps?

Answer

'Pelvic lumps' is not a commonly used medical term. It is hard to know exactly what the nurse meant by this. Regardless, if you are having severe and longstanding nausea and vomiting, this requires medical attention. Regardless of whether this is related or not, I would strongly recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. The pelvis is located in the lower part of the abdomen and contains many vital organs including the uterus, ovaries, bladder and end of the colon. Lumps can occur in any of these. Most commonly, the uterus can develop fibroids -- which are small growths of muscle. These can cause excess bleeding with menstruation, but rarely cause nausea. The ovaries also commonly develop cysts, these are often simply related to the hormones of the normal menstrual cycle and again often do not need to be removed. Neither should cause nausea or vomiting. Excess nausea and vomiting is a concern. There are many problems that this can be associated. One condition to consider is pregnancy -- could you be pregnant? Other problems in the gastrointestinal tract such as gastric reflux or small bowel infections or gastroparesis can cause nausea. These are all serious conditions which should be evaluated. Talk to your doctor. This deserves evaluation.