ZocdocAnswersCan allergies cause excessive sneezing?

Question

Can allergies cause excessive sneezing?

Can allergies cause a person to have excessive sneezing and no other symptom? Everybody in my family has seasonal allergies and dust allergies except my teenage son. But he sometimes will sneeze excessively, like 8 or 10 times in a row. Could this actually be an allergic reaction too?

Answer

Seasonal and dust allergies are very common, and they often run in families. One of the most common manifestations of these allergies is nasal allergies, or allergic rhinitis. In allergic rhinitis the lining of the nasal passages becomes inflamed and itchy from exposure to the allergens. This can lead to many symptoms including nasal congestion, runny nose, chronic cough, itchy eyes, and, yes, frequent sneezing! The basis for treating allergic rhinitis include maintaining a clean home environment free from the offending allergens, such as dust mites, and cockroach and mouse droppings. Furthermore, several excellent medical treatments are available, as determined by your doctor. These treatments might include irrigation of the nasal passages with saline solution, taking an antihistamine medication, or use of nasal steroid sprays directly into the nasal passages. As always the diagnosis and the management of your son's particular condition will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your son's pediatrician is advised.